This week, our team is spending a tremendous amount of time on the road. Being that we are still trying to build a team identity, a true unit thinking as one entity (I gave my "I could beat Mike Tyson in his prime" talk after our game last night), and that our guys will watch movies on the bus, I wanted to combine those two. I wanted each movie we showed on the bus to have a message; something that will inspire unity and selflessness.
This is the list of movies I came up with:
1. Glory Road - Obvious
2. Hoosiers - Obvious
3. Coach Carter - Obvious
4. The Godfather (Parts 1 & 2) - Once you're part of the family, you're always part of the family. Do anything against the family and there are consequences.
5. Goodfellas - See The Godfather.
6. Italian Job - Team unity can be built around a common goal.
7. Pursuit of Happyness - Quitting isn't an option. Continue pushing towards the ultimate goal. Complete selflessness to protect the future of the family.
8. Jerry Maguire - There are those that will lie, cheat, and steal for the glory. Inspire others toward a shared vision!
9. Braveheart - Total dedication, leadership by example, mentorship. Unrelenting commitment.
10. Bull Durham - Leading through mentoring.
11. Groundhog Day - If you don't change something, it will always be the same.
12. Miracle - An obvious choice. Team building.
13. Remember the Titans - Building a team in the wake of change and extreme adversity.
So a quick Google search unearthed a fantastic list of movies that portray leadership qualities and is already sorted by those qualities. It can be found HERE.
If you spend time travelling with your team and watch movies with them, I would encourage you to think about inspiring them at the same time.